Invisible Braces in Downers Grove
Dr. Morgan provides invisible braces treatment. He uses the Invisalign system.
Many adults would like to have straight teeth, but they don’t want to go through conventional orthodontic treatment. Invisible braces can be perfect for these patients.
The picture on the left shows how simple the treatment is. You have a set of clear plastic aligners manufactured by computer. There may be twelve to twenty-four sets of aligners.
Each set is made to apply pressure to your teeth so they move a little bit. Twice a month, you put in a new set of aligners. You’ll notice when you put it in that it doesn’t quite fit.
Over the two weeks, your teeth will shift so that the aligner fits. Gradually, over a period of six to twelve months, they make your teeth completely straight.
Advantages of Invisible Braces
- They do not show. From a conversational distance, people can’t tell that you have anything at all on your teeth.
- There are no food restrictions. You simply remove the aligners when you eat and put them in again when you are done.
- Brushing and flossing is easier. With wire-and-bracket braces, you have to thread the floss between your teeth, and it is very awkward. With invisible braces, there is no extra difficulty in doing this.
- Comfort. Metal brackets irritate your tongue and your cheek. These don’t irritate at all.
- Treatment time is shorter. Conventional braces typically are worn for two to three years. Invisible braces usually take one year or less. One of the reasons is that tooth movements are planned by the computer, so they are more efficient and thus faster.
Disadvantages of Invisible Braces
- The laboratory costs are high, so invisible braces are more expensive than conventional braces.
- They won’t work for every patient. There are certain kinds of cases that can only be treated with conventional braces.
- The patient must cooperate. If you don’t remember to wear the aligners, they won’t work. Some teenagers resist reminders and don’t feel motivated to do the treatment. For such patients, braces that are bonded to their teeth will always be there, can’t be lost, and may be the best treatment.
- If you have crooked teeth, your teeth can also be made to look straight in a couple of appointments with porcelain veneers.