Smooth. Supple. Beautiful. Isn’t that we all wish our skin could be?
While you’re considering your options for aesthetics in Hinsdale, you may have come across the term ‘Hyaluronic Acid’ or ‘HA.’ This substance is a common ingredient in skincare products and is often used in aesthetic procedures.
The Function of Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is a clear, gooey substance that is naturally produced in the body. Naturally occurring HA has many jobs, including retaining water to moisturize connective tissue, supporting wound healing, and lubricating your joints. In fact, HA can hold up to one thousand times its molecular weight in water. Approximately half of your body’s hyaluronic acid is found in the skin, where it works to maintain healthy moisture levels.
The Benefits of Using a HA Skin Serum
- Improves moisture levels. HA fends off skin dryness by working as a humectant, drawing moisture from the atmosphere and into your skin.
- Improves skin resilience. HA helps strengthen your skin’s lipid barrier (the top layer of the epidermis), providing protection from outside elements.
- Visibly improves skin plumpness. The added moisture granted by HA can help temporarily tighten and firm the skin.
- Softens skin texture. As skin is moisturized and plumped, it becomes smoother to the touch and more luminous in appearance.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines. As your skin becomes more plump with water, fine lines and wrinkles may appear less defined.
Who Will Benefit Most from HA Serums?
All skin types can benefit from hyaluronic acid. Because of the moisturizing and plumping effects of HA, those with dry or mature skin may be most likely to fall in love with this ingredient. However, those with oily skin can still suffer from inadequate moisturization, skin barrier issues, or texture concerns, and may benefit from incorporating HA into their routine.
How Should I Apply My HA Serum?
As with any skin care product, it’s best to start small and see how your skin reacts to it, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Serums are best applied to clean, dry skin before applying lotion, sunscreen, or makeup. We recommend dispensing a small amount of product onto your fingers before gently massaging and pressing the serum into your skin.
Perfect Your Facial Aesthetics in Hinsdale
Dentistry and Aesthetics by Design offers an exciting suite of non-surgical facial aesthetic services to help you look your best. When it comes to skincare, we recommend SkinMedica products, including the HA5® Rejuvenating Hydrator. Ask for this item next time you’re in our office, or visit our online store to purchase.