Having a chipped tooth can cause discomfort and force your appearance to change. If you find yourself with a chipped tooth, make an appointment with Dentistry By Design and we will be sure to walk you through different treatment options such as veneers near Burr Ridge.
Our teeth are covered with enamel, which is the strongest substance in your body. However, a forceful blow or excessive wear and tear to the enamel can cause teeth to chip. Some other causes for a chip may include:
- Biting down on a hard substance—ice or candy
- Falling or being in a car accident
- Playing a contact sport without a mouthguard
- Grinding your teeth throughout the night
If you chipped your tooth, there are different treatment options that are based on the location of the chip, its severity, and the symptoms. If the chip is not interfering with your everyday life, it’s not a medical emergency. However, you should still consider making an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible to help avoid infections or further damage. If you have an extensive chip, some of the following treatments include:
- Tooth Reattachment: If you can find the tooth fragments that broke off, put it in a glass of milk to keep it moist—the calcium will keep it alive as you make an appointment to get to the dentist immediately. The dentist may be able to cement the fragment back onto your tooth.
- Bonding: A composite resin can be cemented to the surface of your tooth and shaped to its form, lasting up to ten years.
- Porcelain Veneer: Veneers near Burr Ridge are permanently bonded to your tooth.
- Dental Onlay: This treatment is recommended if the chip only affects a part of your tooth. Onlays can happen right in the office at the time of your appointment due to technological advancements.
Contact us today if you think you have a chipped tooth that needs repair and we will make sure to walk you through the correct steps.